TDCAA Community
Jury of 6 in felonies

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/157098965/m/9253065137

July 18, 2003, 08:05
Mark Edwards
Jury of 6 in felonies
Unless I misunderstood a recent newspaper article, in September we vote on a constitutional amendment that reduces from 12 to 6 the number of jurors in a felony case. Is this correct? If so, what do you think of this change?
July 18, 2003, 08:13
JB
What is the point? Is it so hard to pick 12? Do some counties not have 12 people? If there is a felony joined in the case do we tell the first six jurors they are deciding the misdemeanor?
July 18, 2003, 08:32
Ken Sparks
This bill amends CCP Art. 33.01 and states that in a trial of a misdemeanor offense tried in a district court, the jury shall consist of six jurors. I am unaware of any proposed constitutional amendment reducing the number of jurors in a felony case.
July 19, 2003, 18:45
JB
But what is the good government reason for the change?
July 19, 2003, 23:39
JohnR
Saves $36 bucks. Good guvmint in action.
July 20, 2003, 11:59
Martin Peterson
John, we could debate the merits of having 12 jurors, unanimous verdicts, the number of peremptory strikes, etc. for quite a while. I guess the points in favor of this change are: it is presumably easier to convince 6 persons of a fact than 12; misdemeanors, wherever they are tried, do not merit 12-person juries; less jurors need to be summoned to find 6 who qualify than when 12 are required; less time is required in the selection of 6 jurors than 12, and so forth. Why should those engaging in official misconduct enjoy a benefit not given to any other person accused of a misdemeanor?
July 20, 2003, 13:02
JB
Someone already decided they should get a benefit when they decided such cases could go to a district court. Are we just saying that they should get the benefit of a district judge? Is he/she supposed to be a better judge? I assumed that the benefit was not the judge; it was the additional protection of a 12-person jury.
July 20, 2003, 15:46
Martin Peterson
In the land of the constitutional county judge (although they are all well-informed in the law), the simple answer to your question is yes, they are at least getting a different quality of judge by moving upstairs. I do not know who adopted this scheme to begin with, or exactly why, but are you saying it should never be changed in any way?
July 20, 2003, 16:40
JB
I am not a fan of tinkering with the Code of Criminal Procedure in the absence of bad caselaw or a pattern of problems. I haven't heard that there is anything wrong with the manner in which official misconduct misdemeanors are handled in district court.

And, by the way, if I have a felony and misdemeanor joined in the district court. Do I need two juries, a 6 and a 12 member jury?
July 21, 2003, 11:01
Shannon Edmonds
Ken is correct, the proposed change only affects misdemeanors tried in district courts.

My understanding is that HJR 44 and its companion bill were strictly a money-saving measure brought to the Legislature by a rural county with no statutory county court and with a constitutional county judge that was not a lawyer.
All misdemeanors in that county go to the district court, so they were trying to cut costs by paying 6 fewer jurors in their district court misdemeanors.

Like many bills this session, it had little to do with the merits of 6 jurors vs. 12 jurors.

[This message was edited by Shannon Edmonds on 07-21-03 at .]
July 21, 2003, 12:43
JB
So, does the bill apply only to that county, or do we now have a statewide solution to a local problem?
July 21, 2003, 13:31
JohnR
JB, the answer to that question, as is often the case, is the latter.

[This message was edited by John Rolater on 07-21-03 at .]