TDCAA Community
Armadillo's for sale

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/157098965/m/9373090027

May 22, 2003, 13:14
Gordon LeMaire
Armadillo's for sale
Okay. So they can't be sold or possessed for sale. But does anybody know why?

(Personally, as a transplant from the bayou state, I don't really care for the little darlings.)

[This message was edited by Gordon LeMaire on 05-22-03 at .]
May 22, 2003, 16:16
DPB
Is it the Official State Armoured Mammal? I do remember walking through Chinatown in San Francisco one time and seeing armadillo on the half shell in the window of market. Two of the critters looking back at me with their shells behind them on ice. Nice.
May 25, 2003, 23:08
Stephen Hughes
I was surprised to hear that one allegedly can't possess or sell armadillos? I can remember that it was a big day when the armadillo buyer came to town. He'd buy frozen ones that people had caught and killed. As I understand it they were converted to sewing baskets, hats, etc. PETA got involved, maybe.

Then too, a few unfortunates are believed to have caught leprosy from eating the raw meat. One would have to be awfully desperate! They have a low body temperature and are useful in medical research on the subject of leprosy. Leprosy is one of the diseases that is naturally occuring in the wild population of armadillos.

Oh well, times change. It has been a quarter of century since I last saw an announcement that the armadillo buyer would be at the COOP, but then again I am no longer in small east Texas town...
May 27, 2003, 07:51
BLeonard
When German POWs were held in Texas during WWII, they named the little critters "panzerschwein" or "armored pigs." They had never seen anything like them.
May 27, 2003, 08:35
Randal Lee
I have been told they are all white meat. hmmmm road kill! Texas speed bumps.