TDCAA Community
Fees relating to Grand Jury Subpoenas

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/157098965/m/9861005451

August 29, 2007, 11:29
Danny Smith
Fees relating to Grand Jury Subpoenas
Our office has received two invoices in the past week from a bank and a hospital for fees relating to the preparation of documents in response to a grand jury subpoena.

Does anyone have a standard letter which you send to these places with an explanation as to why we will not pay the fees? And is there a definitive statute and/or case which allows us to refuse to pay their fees?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
August 29, 2007, 11:58
GG
I don't have a letter but you can copy and send them an AG opinion that states they may not recover costs associated with compliance with a GJ subpoena.

Tex. Atty. Gen Op. JC-0181 from 2000

Regarding records from financial institutions, see also Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code, volume 2, Section 30.007(b)(3), wherein it states in relevant part that: ...[this section] does not apply to...(3)a record request from or report to a government agency arising out of the investigation or prosecution of a criminal offense.

Hope this helps.
August 29, 2007, 12:44
jsboone
Coming your way.
September 11, 2014, 10:34
Martin Peterson
No taking is involved, so this a public duty cost properly imposed on the bank. But, guess who actually pays these costs. Preston
September 12, 2014, 10:22
Shannon Edmonds
Other helpful posts from the past on this topic include:

Grand Jury Subpoena and Invoice for Payment (2008)

Bill for Medical Records from UTMB (2006)
September 12, 2014, 13:12
JohnR
What do you mean, Martin? In this case the Bank ended up eating the cost, although I suspect it is far smaller than what they were seeking.
October 14, 2014, 16:44
C Siegert
Can someone send this letter to me as well. Just got a similar call from a phone company ending with "...oh you will pay!"