TDCAA Community
HB 2833

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/257098965/m/1621061171

July 09, 2008, 10:22
Ann Montgomery
HB 2833
Okay, I have received the call from our IT Department concerning the above bill and revisions to Occupations Code 1702 requiring a private investigator's license for computer repair technicians to analyze computer data. Anyone have any thoughts on this? A lawsuit was filed the end of June claiming the law is unconstitutional. Is anyone requiring their IT department to get a PI license? Big Grin
July 09, 2008, 14:56
Sara
I heard on talk radio this morning that this bill only applied in very specific instances not to normal computer repair and maintenance guys.
July 10, 2008, 09:18
J Ansolabehere
You can find the Private Security Bureau's interpretation of this law on the DPS Website. Under Top 10 links, click on Private Security Bureau. On the PSB page, under "Other Information" click on PSB Opinions. There are three involving computer technicians, analysts, repair persons, etc.

Janette A
August 01, 2008, 11:14
RL
As far as how this is going to actually be applied, it might be worthwhile to call one of the investigators in the Regulatory Licensing Service at DPS. They have a whole division that does the investigations on PIs and security agencies. They may be able to give you a good idea as to what they perceive their mandate to be regarding HB2833 (for whatever that's worth). The only one I have had contact with is Lt. Renearl Bowie (512-424-7731). He is very helpful.
August 01, 2008, 14:25
Ray
The DPS seems to be taking the side of private security in this one. Our IT people are conducting law enforcement investigations to determine whether official misconduct involving the computers has occurred. Cool
August 08, 2008, 11:06
russwm
Here is an interview with RenEarl Bowie, Captain in charge of the Texas Department of Public Safety-Private Security Bureau.

Network Performance Daily