TDCAA Community
Buying meals for potential vendors

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/257098965/m/3457077316

August 20, 2014, 16:08
russwm
Buying meals for potential vendors
I have always taken the position that the County cannot pay for meals for potential vendors or for representatives of business we are hoping will move to our County. It seems to me that this would be a clear violation of the Art. III, §52 prohibition on grants of public money. But maybe I'm just jealous that they never invite me to go with to the Olive Garden.

A County official asked this question again recently, and wanted me to explain why other Counties can do it if it isn't legal. Apparently he wasn't satisfied with my explanation that (a)maybe those Counties are breaking the law, or (b) maybe they have nice County Attorneys.

Is there something I am missing here? I know that §52 doesn't prohibit a grant of public money if the Court determines that it directly accomplishes a public purpose. But I also don't see how the County could receive a clear public benefit from wining and dining a prospective vendor or new business.
August 21, 2014, 06:27
Lisa Peterson
I have always told my commissioners that if they want to pay for the meal themselves, that's great, but tax dollars for NOT ok.

Welcome to the "but everyone else is doing it" club. It didn't work for me when I was a kid, and it doesn't work for my officials.

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney
August 21, 2014, 09:38
russwm
Thanks Lisa.

I've been a member of the "but everyone else is doing it club" for almost 20 years now. One thing I have learned is that responding by asking them for the name of the person in another County, or at the AG's office, etc., who said it is okay normally ends the conversation.

Sometimes, however, when the question seems completely crazy it is nice to get confirmation that I am not the crazy one, or at least that this doesn't prove it. Big Grin
August 21, 2014, 11:09
Lisa Peterson
If you're crazy, so am I.....then again, you may not want to go there... Roll Eyes

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney