TDCAA Community
Representing county official in criminal case

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/257098965/m/4391065531

August 18, 2006, 09:53
kittys
Representing county official in criminal case
We have a county official/employee who wants representation from our office (county attorney) in a criminal case. We have told him, based on art. 2.08, TCCP, that we cannot represent anyone in a criminal case. I have also sent him copies of court cases and AG opinions on this subject. He claims that he has been told of other counties where the county attorney's office represents county officials/employees in criminal matters. So my question is, do any of you represent any county officials/employees in criminal cases? If so, what is your authority to do so? Does anyone think it makes a difference whether or not the county attorney's office handles criminal prosecutions?
August 18, 2006, 10:20
mhartman
Short answer is no and no!
August 18, 2006, 11:46
Lisa Peterson
Talk about a HUGE conflict...........

Never.

lisa
August 18, 2006, 13:50
Ray
Many years ago in a galaxy far away an assistant county attorney was representing a client (private practice) in a speeding case in another county. The fellow nearly lost his law license. I believe he had extensive suspensions of his license resulting from this representation.

So your hero is partially right, some idiots have done it, like those who wish to lose their law license. Eek
August 18, 2006, 14:17
kittys
Thanks, it's always nice to have confirmation that you're right.