TDCAA Community
previously parched, now soaked!

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/257098965/m/639107613

February 22, 2005, 10:38
mhartman
previously parched, now soaked!
Our county recently passed a proposition allowing the sale of beer and wine county-wide.
Previously a dry county. Does anyone have a County zoning ordinace prohibiting the sale of alcoholic beverages within X feet of a school etc. as authorized by 109.33 of the Alcoholic Beverage Code that you would be willing to share?
Any help would be appreciated.
Mike Hartman
Scurry County Attorney
scurryca@snydertex.com
325-573-7440
February 22, 2005, 10:45
Scott Brumley
Growing up in Lubbock, I thought everyone had to drive inordinate distances to fetch adult beverages. While I don't have any forms (my current home was "wet" long before I arrived here), I can offer the prediction that more people traveling the windswept throughway of U.S. 84 will be stopping in Snyder.
February 22, 2005, 13:29
mhartman
Perhaps even those from Amarillo????
February 22, 2005, 13:38
Scott Brumley
... if you know what/who I mean. Wink
February 22, 2005, 14:45
mhartman
Funny!
would you think the restriction needs or is authorized to have a penal sanction attached to it i.e. a fine amount? If the restriction is in place prior to the license being granted, TABC and the County Judge will probably not sign off on it so it may be a moot point anyway.
February 23, 2005, 09:46
Scott Brumley
If TABC is willing to play along (decline licenses for failing to meet regulatory distance requirements), that may be all the clout you need. Unless there is express statutory authorization (or clearly necessarily implicit authorization) for imposition of fines where Alcoholic Beverages Code distance and placement regulations are violated, I would be wary of traveling down that road.
February 23, 2005, 10:17
mhartman
I suppose I will try that approach, as I don't find specific authorization for the fine.
Tell those Plainview folks to stop and purchase as we need the revenue!
February 25, 2005, 09:29
Ray
When the Tech Alums from the Metroplex go west to Lubbock for educational seminars, Snyder will present an alternative to Post or Sweetwater.
February 25, 2005, 09:54
mhartman
Sounds like we may need to figure a way to build a beer barn over the state highway where you can purchase without turning off the cruise control.
February 25, 2005, 16:13
Lisa Peterson
but we would just as soon ya'all keep buying the booze here. We need the tax dollars! Of course, if you are planning to sip & drive, let the enforcement folks know, and we'll help Scurry County with the prosecution!