TDCAA Community
Private practice in courthouse

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/257098965/m/9611065702

June 28, 2010, 16:57
Cheryll
Private practice in courthouse
Do any of ya'll out there that have private practices in the courthouse get that use taxed as a "fringe benefit" and added to your W-2? This is what our inexperienced outside auditor recommended and seconded by our bookkeeper auditor. (All based on actions by two electeds that don't like me and run folks against me - who then loose!) I reimburse the County (per resolution) for copies and long distance phone calls. Also, any difference between us and the Judges (mostly JPs) that get personal gain from courthouse offices - weddings - allowed even without Commissioners Court approval (our 41.011 Govt. Code)? I believe this is bad precedence and could effect all of you out there with private practices in the courthouse. Any ideas, suggestions, comments, I'm open! Thanks Tons! Cheryll Mabray
July 01, 2010, 08:22
Lisa Peterson
OK, I was waiting for one of the gurus to answer. Since the silence is deafening - all I can offer is this (yes, Clay, I'm one of the THOSE personalities!)

WHen I have had major head buttings with my auditor, I have gone to a local CPA and asked the question. 95% of the time he shakes his head, disagrees with her, and gives me a letter telling her she's wrong. I present the letter to her quietly. If she isn't willing to follow it, I would take it on to COmmissioners Court and point out that she is - according to the experts - misinterpreting IRS regs.

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney
July 01, 2010, 11:13
Ray
Having no private office, had no advice. If I asked my auditor about it she is just paranoid enough to begin investigating whether I had a private office on county property. Lisa, I think your advice is right on as usual. So don't sell yourself short, Guru Lisa.