TDCAA Community
Professional Services Bids

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/257098965/m/998103323

May 02, 2005, 10:34
Larry L
Professional Services Bids
I've been asked about a bid for professional services. A couple of members of the governing body do not want to be bound to the lowest bid (legal representation in a civil matter). I recall there is a rule / statute that exempts professional services from the lowest bidder rule -- can someone point me to the statute / rule? I'd appreciate the help.

LL
May 02, 2005, 15:53
Scott Brumley
Under the Professional Services Procurement Act, found in chapter 2254 of the Government Code, bidding for professional services is prohibited. However, the PSPA does not include law as a "professional service." Thus, you probably are relegated to reliance upon section 262.024(a)(4) of the Local Government Code. Section 262.024 spells out the discretionary exemptions from the County Purchasing Act's overall requirement of bidding for any contract that will require an expenditure of $25,000 or more. Subsection (a)(4) exempts "a personal or professional service" from the bidding requirement if the commissioners court by order grants the exemption.