TDCAA Community
Habeas Challenge to '89 DWI Conviction

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6050918821/m/7123059857

November 25, 2003, 16:08
Cole Spainhour
Habeas Challenge to '89 DWI Conviction
Has anyone done a recent reply brief to a defendant challenging an old DWI conviction to avoid getting enhanced on a recent one? The defendant lost the habeas challenge at the trial court level and is now at the Court of Appeals. He has raised the willingness and voluntariness of the plea, whether defendant waived his right to counsel, and the defendant's right to appointed counsel based on his (recent) claim of indigency. On our side, we have one line in the judgment paperwork saying that the plea was voluntary and some rather dumb statements by the defendant at the habeas hearing. We have this one and another on the way, so I would like to see what other people have done. My email is cspainhour@wilco.org.

Thanks.
November 25, 2003, 16:48
JB
Do you have the court reporter take down pleas?

John Bradley
District Attorney
Williamson County, Texas
November 25, 2003, 16:49
Rick Miller
I don't have the cases at hand, but to have a habeas on a misdemeanor, you must be presently incarcerated under CCP 11.09.
November 25, 2003, 21:54
Merrit
I don't think confinenment is required. Ex parte Schmidt, 109 S.W.3d 480 Tex.Crim.App.,2003.
November 26, 2003, 13:26
Rick Miller
Brother Merrit is correct. It is a convoluted opinion that never addresses why the statute really doesn't say what it says. Go figger.