TDCAA Community
Favorite Crazy Objections

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/157098965/m/3391009651

November 05, 2007, 07:48
Andrea W
Favorite Crazy Objections
Dan,

I not only had a defense attorney make the objection "that's nothing but a plea for law enforcement!" during closing arguments, he later appealed the case based on improper argument.
November 05, 2007, 12:35
SAProsecutor
In my early days as a prosecutor, the defense attorney in closing was yelling and pointing at the prosecutor's table and saying to the jury what a terrible job the prosecution had done. He was making me feel bad so I stood up and said "Objection--Argumentative". Judge looked baffled for several seconds and overruled the objection.
November 05, 2007, 13:01
jws
If you're from Houston, you know of a very colorful defense attorney, quite a showman, always has a way too personal story to tell, not much regard for the facts or the actual law (initials R.C.) and once I saw him in a trial where he stood up and objected to the prosecutor by saying, "Judge, that ain't no question. She just nibble, nibble, nibble." He was held in contempt of court by the end of the trial.
November 05, 2007, 13:42
GG
quote:
Originally posted by SAProsecutor:
In my early days as a prosecutor, the defense attorney in closing was yelling and pointing at the prosecutor's table and saying to the jury what a terrible job the prosecution had done. He was making me feel bad so I stood up and said "Objection--Argumentative". Judge looked baffled for several seconds and overruled the objection.

Was that Logene? Wink
November 05, 2007, 14:07
Lori J. Kaspar
In a recent DWI trial, the defense attorney kept questioning my trooper about how many seconds it took him to perform various parts of the HGN test. He finally wrote the numbers "1, 2, 16, 20" on the white board. He added them up and said, "67." Then realizing he'd probably made a mistake, he scratched out the "67" and wrote "62."

Can a person object to the mistreatment of mathematical operations?
November 07, 2007, 15:58
P.D. Ray
Bobby Glasgow in Granbury typically began every one of his objections with:

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, wait a minute judge, now that's just reverse bolstering. Now, back when I was in the legislature...."
November 08, 2007, 15:16
David Newell
The Houston Chronicle reports on a recent crazy objection:

Temple's attorney, Dick DeGuerin, threw his legal pad across the defense table as he jumped to his feet shouting "Oh come on," after Siegler asked Rebecca if she knew David and Belinda were talking about divorcing in the year before her death.

"That's not true," DeGuerin said, sputtering to get an objection out.

DeGuerin said his objection was that Siegler was injecting the record with falsehoods. His objection was overruled.
November 08, 2007, 15:27
WHM
I wonder what DeGuerin would expect the judge to do if the same objection was raised to the defense?

"How do you plead?"
"Not guilty, your honor."
"Oh, come on! That's not true!"