TDCAA Community
I'm so sure . . .

This topic can be found at:
https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/157098965/m/9071069291

July 31, 2009, 10:23
MW
I'm so sure . . .
Here's a lighthearted topic starter: With a nod to Hollywood, what are some of the greatest public misperceptions about us or our jobs as prosecutors? I'll start with a few.

- We have cushy offices with wet bars behind our desks.

- We attend swanky cocktail parties where we conspire with captains of industry.

- We are always BFFs with the police!

- Our juries are filled with some of the best dressed people in town.

What else?
July 31, 2009, 10:27
Kathleen
- Our crime scene techs drive Hummers

- We hand out motions (always with blue paper on the back) to each other and then have "hearings" with the court as we're walking down the hall or on the sidewalk

- We get to confront the defendant in a meeting room with his attorney and he then confesses...
July 31, 2009, 10:40
suzannewest
We make enough money to have really great wardrobes. (I can't be the only one who wears suits out before getting a new one.)
July 31, 2009, 10:57
Fred Edwards
...that we are all political hacks concerned only with re-election or that of our boss
July 31, 2009, 11:00
Fred Edwards
...that David Newell spends all day watching "Indie movies"
July 31, 2009, 11:29
<Bob Cole>
-We have DNA evidence in every case.

-Every child sex assault victim makes immediate outcry and brings the case straight to us.

-All we care about is our conviction rates.

-We are in cahoots with the court-appointed defense counsel. They work for us, don't they?
July 31, 2009, 13:51
Andrea W
We have unlimited resources to investigate cases. Bwahaha!
July 31, 2009, 14:12
David Newell
The case is over when the verdict is read.
July 31, 2009, 14:27
JohnW
All we have to do is snap our fingers and dozens of investigators bring us all the evidence we need. Same thing for legal research.
July 31, 2009, 14:28
GG
That a defendant who has steadfastly denied guilt will break down on the witness stand, under the steely eyed glare of the prosecutor.
August 02, 2009, 09:03
JB
That life in prison means life in prison.
August 03, 2009, 09:16
Stacey L. Brownlee
- that the gallery is always full of spectators and one of them will confess or has a piece of evidence that will seal the case

- that there is a master computer that has everyone's fingerprints, picture, every car they drive, who their relatives and cohorts are, where they live, where they work.....
August 03, 2009, 09:39
Jeromie
That when you are unhappy with the court's ruling you can go upstairs, literally, to the appeals court and come back down to the trial court that same afternoon, opinion from the court of appeals in hand.

Maybe thats how it really works in New York?
August 03, 2009, 09:44
MW
Once they get convicted and sent to prison, criminals always speak the truth; especially if they're on death row.
August 03, 2009, 09:47
Lee Westmoreland
That the investigation can be summarized in 30 minutes and the trial can be done in time for the 10 o'clock news . . .
August 03, 2009, 11:47
Ted Hake
That the same prosecutor will handle the case throughout the entire process, from grand jury presentation, through trial, and even on appeal.
August 03, 2009, 12:33
JohnR
That anyone can be held without bail just because a prosecutor asks. My wife is always railing at me when the news talks about anyone who gets bail.
August 04, 2009, 10:03
APorter
That the appellate process only takes a few weeks (if that long).
August 04, 2009, 11:10
Brody V. Burks
That when judges rule on suppression hearings, they give detailed findings of fact and conclusions of law from the bench, explaining exactly why they ruled.
August 04, 2009, 12:55
Andrea W
That judges have statutes, cases, and specific facts to support why they ruled.