TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Officers and Case Law
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Officers and Case Law Login/Join 
posted
I had a Trooper in my office yesterday getting ready for a Motion to Suppress and when I pulled some case law I realized that same Trooper had worked the case that was the published opinion that was right on point and the opinion even mentioned the Trooper by name. When I mentioned the case to the Trooper he was surprised to find out that he made some good law. I realize most opinions don't move the compass much and usually don't mention officers by name, but when a good one comes down does anyone take the time to send it to their officers? It's a habit that I think I am going to get into.

Posts: 119 | Location: Chambers County Texas | Registered: March 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not an attorney, but I routinely scour the 3rd COA and the CCA for opinions involving our officers, good or bad, and send them their way.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bgreer,

Posts: 95 | Location: Marble Falls, TX USA | Registered: October 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I kept a group listing for the e-mail addresses of the local police chiefs and sheriff and would forward key cases to them for distribution to officers. I was selective and would look for cases that involved local officers and cases that provided good examples of confession or search and seizure processes. Great way to stay in touch with law enforcement and provide them with ongoing legal education.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I, too have an e-mail distribution list (over 400 Officer in my County; 100 or so outside my County) and send this type of info out several times per month. Response has been VERY positive.

Posts: 115 | Location: Denton, TX, USA | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post