TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    "Don't Do Drugs" PowerPoint
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Don't Do Drugs" PowerPoint Login/Join 
posted
On Friday I'm scheduled to give a series of "Don't Do Drugs" speeches in one of our local junior highs. Normally I speak to high school kids - juniors and seniors - who are, or soon will be, adults in the criminal justice system. With that audience I focus on the legal consequences of using and possessing drugs. I think my approach with the junior high kids needs be different. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? And does anyone have a related PowerPoint that I could steal from? Please email me. Thanks.

Posts: 200 | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tell them that there is one true and undisputed truth about marihuana: "Marihuana is bad for your body because it gets your body thrown in jail."

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just gave a "Red Ribbon Week" presentation on Monday to 750 middle schoolers (6th, 7th and 8th graders) focusing on meth abuse, since that is the fastest growing form of drug abuse. I structrued it around the "Faces of Meth" series of photos, showing what meth use does to your body. Very graphic. You are welcome to my PowerPoint, either for use in your presentation or for ideas.

Posts: 188 | Location: Lubbock, Texas USA | Registered: October 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can always add the juvenile law angle and tell them they will be taken away from their parents and sent to TYC. I believe drug cases also affect whether or not you get your driver's license -- something these kids may be soon looking forward to.

When I presented recently to an elementary school, what got their attention was a case where I had a guy so wasted on PCP, he was dancing naked in someone else's front yard for the whole world to see. Little kids don't care about losing financial aid or driver's licenses, but they are horrified at the prospect of drugs making you so crazy as being naked in public.

Posts: 73 | Location: Richmond, TX | Registered: January 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
these kids are probably all looking forward to getting their driver's licenses in a few years. Wouldn't hurt to remind them that drug convictions will get their licenses suspended.

sidebar: are there any more damning consequences associated with marijuana use than the law?

Posts: 65 | Location: Athens, TX - Henderson County | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
are there any more damning consequences associated with marijuana use than the law?

girls won't like you if you're dumb.

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
david arquette.

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
*sigh* busted. Frown (I'd REALLY have been busted if you'd said Matthew McConaughey - David Arquette doesn't do it for me)

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i'm pretty sure he doesn't do it for most women. yet, he is dumb and at least one girl likes him.

your example is better, though.

"all right, all right, all right . . . "

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Just got this from the NDAA. More details are posted under "TDCAA News" on the homepage, but here's the skinny:

The DOJ Meth website is www.usdoj.gov/methawareness. The site contains a comprehensive educational presentation on methamphetamine entitled Meth 101 as well as a version specifically tailored to women. Meth 101 and Meth 101 for Women are PowerPoint presentations with embedded video clips. There is also a version of Meth 101 with an audio narration track that runs as a video. All versions of the presentation can be viewed or downloaded from the webpage.

Posts: 2426 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post