TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Matters of Importance
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Matters of Importance Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Lets see if imageshack will work:

Posts: 689 | Registered: March 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see nothing wrong with an ascot, particularly if it is offered as a protest response to a draconian neckwear policy.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It takes a special kind of man to rock the kot like Thurston Howell, III.

It just seems, though that the only way the judge could sell the contempt citation was to use a British accent while doing so. (A Merchant/Ivory British accent, not a Guy Ritchie British accent.)

"Good God man, I find that you are the most contemptible individual that has ever set foot within the hallowed walls of my courtroom! You should be flogged."

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now let's hear that same admonition in a cockney accent, Mr. Newell. Or a lowland Scot dialect.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They may take our lives, but they'll never take . . .

OUR ASCOTS!

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, I hate for this to be my first post, but the "string tie" you speak of, a.k.a. the bolo, is the official State Tie of Texas. See, I did actually learn something from the 2007 legislative update besides the complexity of the new UCW laws.

I don't think I can push it wearing the bolo in court though; the cowboy boots are probably already getting close to the line.

Posts: 16 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gretchen:
No, no, no, JR. Aren't you from Texas? "String ties" are bolos. An ascot is like a neckerchief, all fluffy at the neck and stuff.

I'm from Texas but well known to be fashion challenged. What I think of as a string tie looks like a black ribbon about 1/2 in wide tied in a bow like a shoe lace with the strings dangling down. What I think of as a bolo is a leather cord with the ends finished with metal and a figure or somesuch that cinches it up. The one I have is a cow skull.

This is sorta what I was thinking of . . .

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Bob Cole>
posted
John R

Your photo is what I know as a String tie. We often see bow ties in our court. Are they common elsewhere?

For those who don't know how to tie one on (easy now, there are Baylor lawyers out there):

How to Tie One On

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dustan, no need to apologize for your post. As you can see from this thread, we welcome everyone, regardless of your fashion orientation. (I do notice that Hoover is strangely quiet on this subject). Welcome to the User Forum.

And since Hoover's name came up, I'm assuming that the righteous fashion judge would not approve of a feather boa in the courtroom. What else could women (or confident men) NOT wear in court?

By the way, ever hear of the "Hemp Rope Necktie" ?

[This message was edited by JB on 01-10-08 at .]

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And I thought an Ascot was worn outside a buttoned collar like a Montrose lace jabot and a cravat worn inside an open neck collar.

JAS

Posts: 586 | Location: Denton,TX | Registered: January 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scott, would you like one with "Ken's Ascot" embroidered on it?

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAS:
And I thought an Ascot was worn outside a buttoned collar like a Montrose lace jabot and a cravat worn inside an open neck collar.
This must be stuff they learn in school in England . . .

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ken,

If it's in camo, I'll take one for me and 10 for the lawyers in our office. Now, four are women, but that wouldn't be a problem, would it? We are, after all, a contemptuous lot.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Something like that, John. I don't think anything less than a regular business tie would work in an English court (excepting barristers in formal court attire). Certainly no Ascots or cravats, which are less formal wear. Those Scots are different though.

JAS

Posts: 586 | Location: Denton,TX | Registered: January 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A camo "Ken's Ascot" is a great accoutrement for any front man.

posted Hide Post
Perhaps even the zenith of sartorial elegance?

JAS

posted Hide Post
Or, from a more East-End perspective, it's flash.

posted Hide Post
As in a flash cove?

posted Hide Post
As in a swell or a type of adhesive?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dustan:
Okay, I hate for this to be my first post...

Where you from, Dustan?

All of this reminds me of a song lyric...

Well, I don't wear a Stetson
But I'm willing to bet, son,
That I'm as big a Texan
As you are.

� Terry Allen, 1979