TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    What is your ideal next job?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your ideal next job? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I decided a few years back that I wanted to be a swimming pool manager. But, I'm having trouble with algae in my pool now, so that may not be my best option.

Posts: 74 | Location: Hempstead, TX USA | Registered: February 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prosecutor in Key West. How hard can PI cases be? If not that, I've always wanted to own an ice house. Low overhead, regulars at picnic tables drinking cold beer and telling stories. Of course, I might be able to do both....

Posts: 374 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well this is shaping up quite nicely. Jane, you run the resort, I'll run the dive shop, and Dan, you've got the icehouse next door. I like it!

Now we just need to find a locale with pristine reefs and 100 foot viz that is relatively immune to hurricanes, tsunamis and terrorist attacks...
I've got it. The Galapagos.

Posts: 280 | Registered: October 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dan Bradley:
If not that, I've always wanted to own an ice house. Low overhead, regulars at picnic tables drinking cold beer and telling stories. Of course, I might be able to do both....

Me, too!

Posts: 104 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Realistic--turn my current job as an appellate attorney into a paying job as a fiction writer (ok, maybe not realistic, because I would actually have to write something creative...aside from the times I ask the court to go with me when I make a giant leap on the law). I could do this on y'alls island while learning how to dive and drink beer.

Totally Not Ever Going to Happen-- be the chick that gets to pick the music that goes into movies. I mean, all you do is listen to music and watch movies all day long.

Posts: 286 | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The music picking idea is most excellent. That's the best job listed so far.

I download various podcasts (through iTunes) and burn them onto a CD (as mp3 files) to listen to in the car. Over time, I've found that my favorite podcasts involve surveys and samples of all kinds of music with info about the songs and musicians.

And, the job could be done anywhere with a wi-fi connection. So, could combine good scenery (beach) with good intellectual semi-work.

[This message was edited by JB on 01-13-09 at .]

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, John, but I haven't decided if my icehouse is going to have WiFi. That might interfere with the whole Key West vibe. Of course, you don't need WiFi with your fancy iPhone.

Posts: 374 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Other than Dan, no one has mentioned practicing law in their retirement.

Interesting.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Video store clerk lawyer.

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greg, you gotta go with what you enjoy.

posted Hide Post
And, you prosecutor types do not even need to think about one of those "plum" greeter jobs at WalMart until you read the attached story about our last comrade that thought he was well suited.
He wrote,

"I had ambitions of finding a simple,uncomplicated part time job after
retiring from my 'day job'. Unfortunately, as I have gotten a little
older, I have become a little less sensitive. So after landing my new
job as a Wal-Mart greeter, a good find for many retirees, I lasted less
than a day.

About two hours into my first day on the job a very loud, unattractive,
mean-acting woman walked into the store with her two kids, yelling obscenities at them all the way through the entrance. As I had been
instructed, I said pleasantly, 'Good morning, and welcome to Wal-Mart.
Nice children you have there. Are they twins?'

The ugly woman stopped yelling long enough to say, 'Hell no, they ain't
twins. The oldest one's 9, and the other one's 7. Why the hell would
you think they're twins? Are you blind, or just stupid?' So I replied,
'I'm neither blind nor stupid, Ma'am, I just couldn't believe you got
laid twice. Have a good day and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart.'

My supervisor said I probably wasn't cut out for this line of work."

Posts: 44 | Location: Amarillo, Tx, USA | Registered: March 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fishing guide in Alaska...except I can't catch fish to save my life.

Posts: 130 | Location: Hempstead, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Food critic!

Posts: 146 | Location: Dallas, Texas USA | Registered: November 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since law school any time I get stressed I think about making Maple syrup, It calms me down.

Posts: 83 | Location: Seguin, TX USA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Comic and Game Shop owner! Big Grin

Posts: 128 | Location: TX | Registered: March 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I heard there is a blogger opening on Hamilton Island - something to do with protecting the barrier reef. Heard it pays well if anyone out there is interested.

Posts: 419 | Location: Abilene, TX USA | Registered: December 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Bob Cole>
posted
Grand Duke of Durango, Colorado

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want to own a Speed Shop .... No, the kind that works on cars and sells parts.

Posts: 233 | Location: Anderson, Texas | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post