TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Probation using hair analysis to check for drug use.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Probation using hair analysis to check for drug use. Login/Join 
posted
I've heard that probation officers can send off a lock of a probationer's hair, and the lab can tell if he's been using a long list of drugs.

Does anyone here have any more info on this? How well does it seem to work?

Currently, we have 2 counties with only female P.O.'s. When they want a urine sample from a male probationer (the vast majority of their case load), they give the probationer a cup and wait outside the restroom door. The probationers are on their honor not to fill the cup with urine from some Clean Gene friend of theirs. I'm not sure this is always working as planned.

Posts: 686 | Location: Beeville, Texas, U.S.A. | Registered: March 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wikipedia has a short bit on hair drug testing that says, in part:
quote:
"There is a growing trend in major companies and law enforcement agencies to utilize hair analysis on account of its efficiency and reputation as the gold standard when considering test accuracy."

If you scroll up the article a little bit they also have a chart for how long the drug is detectable.

Posts: 689 | Registered: March 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few years ago my son had to submit a hair sample for drug testing as a condition of employment with his bank.

Janette A

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What if you've got real short hair? I guess that would be a way of ensuring that the time period available to be tested would be real small, like a month or so (one month = apx. 1/2 of hair growth). So if you start to do hair testing, I would not be surprised if you see a bunch of hippy types now sporting military-style hair cuts! lol

Posts: 79 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The kids call that the Brittney Cut !

Posts: 641 | Location: Longview, Texas | Registered: October 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Testing hair seems like a good idea so long as it is cost effective. A couple of weeks ago we had a probationer get caught with a "whizzinator." Imagine his surprise when his name, mugshot and date of birth appeared in a newspaper article about his "prosthetic." We figured it might dissuade some would-be whizzinator users.

Posts: 17 | Location: Rio Grande City, TX, U.S. | Registered: November 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post