TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Help! Translator needed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help! Translator needed Login/Join 
posted
I have a need to locate someone who is a US citized (preferred) and who can translate the Guatemalan language, NOT spanish, into English.

If you know of anyone who fits the bill, please notify me asap.

Thanks

Terry Vogel
Dumas, Tx
69th DA's Office
806-935-5654

Posts: 47 | Location: Dumas, Tx | Registered: March 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are probably several indigenous languages in Guatemala. You'll have to find out what tribe your speaker is from and then, I'd suggest checking one of the larger universities for an expert in that language.

Posts: 124 | Location: West Texas | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check with AT&T. They offer a translator service using qualified translators in an incredible number of languages. You can choose to use it on a one-time, per minute basis, or select on of their translation service packages. Lots of courts and police agencies around the world use the service.

Janette Ansolabehere

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I strongly recommend against police officers using this service unless they keep track of the actual person who did the translating. In the past, police reports did not include the name of the person who translated, and this made it impossible to prove that the person who translated was qualified. I don't see how the statements could come in without that information.

Posts: 31 | Location: Dallas County | Registered: March 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post