TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Defendant's "Right" to Deferred Disposition - Traffic Offenses
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Defendant's "Right" to Deferred Disposition - Traffic Offenses Login/Join 
posted
As usual, I am hopelessly confused by all the "legal mumbo-jumbo" in the Transportation Code. The current applicable statute, �45.051 of the CCP, appears to make it discretionary with the Court. However, �543.101 of the Trans Code, which as far as I can tell has never been repealed, refers to a requirement for the Defendant to be notified that he, "may be able to REQUIRE that this charge be dismissed by taking a driving safety course."

I believe there was formerly a provision which did require a court to allow driving courses under certain circumstances, but those sections (543.102 to 543.110) were repealed by the '99 Legislature (See also CCP 45.541). What's the dang deal, do the JPs have complete discretion or not? Confused

Posts: 160 | Location: Foat Wuth | Registered: June 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post