TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Can a defendant plead guilty by mail?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can a defendant plead guilty by mail? Login/Join 
posted
Can a defendant, incarcerated in another county, who sends a letter to the Court where his case is pending in another county asking to plead guilty and for time served, be found guilty and sentenced without ever being present in Court?

Posts: 71 | Location: Angleton, Texas, USA | Registered: September 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In a probation revocation scenario he could, but only if he signed the appropriate paperwork in front of a judge on that end.

Posts: 137 | Location: Corsicana, TX | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe a defendant can plead by mail in a misdemeanor case, but in a felony case he has to appear in front of a judge in the county where he is confined.

Posts: 21 | Location: Kermit, Texas | Registered: October 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take a look at CCP Sections 27.19 and 42.1`4(b). Together they permit someone in a jail or prison outside of the jurisdiction to enter a plea with a bargain without having to personally appear.

Posts: 39 | Location: Beaumont, TX USA | Registered: June 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just received a call from a Federal inmate wanting to plea to a DWI 2nd from 2007. I am willing to plea him through the mail but I am not sure what paperwork I should send to him. Anybody ever done this? If so, do you have any documents that you would be willing to share?

Posts: 106 | Location: Uvalde, Texas | Registered: May 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm always being asked to allow inmates to plead to an original offense (A or B misdemeanor) from jail. I know it can be done on felonies (now), and on Class C's. Would be very interested in seeing the authority and paperwork for a misdemeanor....

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not think it can be done for a county court misdemeanor since the court needs to admonish the defendant as to waiver of attorney, rights, etc. Additionally, a prosecutor conversing with the defendant is problematical since he has not yet been admonished by the judge and waived his rights to an attorney.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your right Ken about talking to the Defendant. I just listened to his request, got his info and hung up. I normally don't even take their calls. I just happened to pick up the phone that day.

Posts: 106 | Location: Uvalde, Texas | Registered: May 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post