TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Probation for 15 Year Sentence
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Probation for 15 Year Sentence Login/Join 
posted
I see where a jury cannot give probation to a sentence longer than 10 years, but in cases of drug possessions where the amount makes the minimum 15 years, can the judge give probation? If not, where is that?

Posts: 526 | Location: Del Rio, Texas | Registered: April 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When the minimum sentence is 15 years, that sentence is not eligible for probation. If you are determined to sentence the defendant to probation, then the plea could potentially be to a lesser included offense (lower weight) that would not have the same minimum sentence.

Posts: 53 | Location: Fort Stockton, Texas USA | Registered: April 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's what I'm thinking the only options might be, if probation is the route. Thanks much.

Posts: 526 | Location: Del Rio, Texas | Registered: April 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Suzanne,

you can put him on deferred. That way, you don't waive the 15 year minimum. HFO can go on deferred also, although I advise Defense Attorney's against it even when the Defendant asks for it....

Posts: 109 | Location: Kingsville, Texas, USA | Registered: July 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HFO?

posted Hide Post
HFO=Habitual Felony Offenders

25-99 or Life cases.

Posts: 478 | Location: Parker County, Texas | Registered: March 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CCP 42A.053 (c) (1)

I agree that the judge could defer a finding of guilt and place on deferred probation. (just not straight probation)

Posts: 169 | Registered: June 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post