TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Smartwater
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smartwater Login/Join 
posted
Anyone run into this product yet? It has been used in Europe, and I have heard it is available in Florida. It is a liquid put on high-theft items. If the items are stolen, the items are traceble back to their owners. Apparently, a UV light is required to perform the identification and DNA is involved. It has had some success as a deterrent to crime--rather like alarms on houses and cars.

JAS

Posts: 586 | Location: Denton,TX | Registered: January 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the Wiki explanation, click here.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You mean it's not the stuff advertised with the dancing lizards?

Maybe that's part of the appeal. The lizards are available to testify as directly-observing experts, thereby avoiding any Melendez-Diaz problems.

Okay, I admit it. I couldn't resist and had to post again. You may continue with relevant discussion now.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How long before a smartwater remover hits the market?

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, 40% reduction in burglary. That is an effective crime-fighting tool. I also like the new definition for "sin."

Posts: 2386 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course, this product requires that the police locate the stolen goods before they've either been 1) hacked apart for the components, 2) sold four or five times to some innocent buyer and 3) not simply disappeared inside the home of the perpetrator. In that way it's no better than simply writing down the serial number that's stamped on your TV. Likewise for "marking" the criminal- you have to catch them before you can put it to use. It's an interesting concept, but I don't think one that's going to end burglaries as we know them.

Posts: 394 | Location: Waco, Tx | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post