TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    3+ prior DWI's
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

3+ prior DWI's Login/Join 
posted
Can anyone think of a defendant in their county who, with three prior DWI's, decided to drink and drive again, only to crash and kill someone?

I know these tragedies are not pleasant to recall, but they would be very helpful for a current project.

Thanks in advance!
Doug Richards
RICHARDS_DOUGLAS@da.co.harris.tx.us
713-755-5461

Posts: 3 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: September 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but all I remember about the case is that she was 28-29, had two pending DWI's (both misdemeanor) and killed herself in an accident wihthin thirty days of the second arrest. Intoxication and drugs (cocaine) present in her system. I don't remember if there were injuries in the other vehicle, but I would bet on it.

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We've got a case set for trial in december with that fits. If I don't remember to call you, harass me at (940) 668-5466

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't remember the name, but I can try to find out if you need me to. I represented a man in Wichita who had gone to prison for DWI and manslaughter and then DWI'd again.

Posts: 108 | Location: Wichita Falls, TX | Registered: February 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I helped the D.A.s office prosecute a local fellow on his about 20 plus DWI that I could actually find papers on. In the mid 80's he was on felony probation for a hit and run when he picked up a manslaughter charge now (intox manslaughter) He went about 7 years without a DWI once out of prison then in 1998 he was looking again at a Class B misd. in two counties. Again in my county he picked up two a few months apart. He is now serving a 99 year sentence.

Posts: 41 | Location: greenville, texas usa | Registered: February 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had one a couple of years that killed someone in a Christmas Day wreck. He had 2 prior DWI convictions within a few years. I'm not sure if this fits your project's profile or not.

Posts: 280 | Location: Weatherford, Texas | Registered: March 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of your replies!

I'm looking for situations where a defendant has three priors. It would be on the fourth (or more) DWI that the defendant crashes and kills someone.

Posts: 3 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: September 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Give Richard Alpert a call. Back in the mid 90s he prosecuted a case involving a man who killed a Fort Worth PD officer who was assisting a stranded motorist. The man had multiple priors including at least one accident on another state that put a victim in a wheel chair (there was a Turning Point episode that covered this case and another out of New York; theme was the person with many DWI convictions who continues to drink and drive). Richard prosecuted the case and got a life sentence. I think the defendant's name was Eugene Standifer.

Janette Ansolabehere

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post