TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Courthouse closed on Fridays
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Courthouse closed on Fridays Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Martin Peterson:
Many persons fought many years for an eight-hour workday. There must be some definite advantages to it.

If I was working 6 days a week like they were when they fought for 8-hour days, then I'd want it too! Smile But I think lengthening the work day but not the overall amount of time worked in a week is reasonable and can be beneficial in a lot of circumstances.

I'm definitely looking forward to this four-day week. Wink

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Austin companies considering four-day workweeks

Switch cuts costs, saves energy, boosts morale, employers say.

By Regina Dennis
AUSTIN AMERICAN-STATESMAN

Monday, July 14, 2008

With energy costs on the rise and gas prices hovering around $4 a gallon, some employers are proposing a solution likely to delight many workers: mandating a four-day workweek.

The notion of ditching the traditional five-day workweek in favor of a shorter week with longer daily hours has caught on with some Central Texas employers, who say that having a four-day workweek reduces operating costs, conserves energy and helps boost employee morale and productivity.

Hays County could move to a four-day workweek to save fuel and utility costs under a proposal by County Judge Liz Sumter that is being considered by the Commissioners Court.

Next month, Utah will become the first state to switch to a four-day workweek for thousands of government employees in a yearlong experiment aimed at reducing the state's energy costs and commuters' gasoline expenses.

For the full article, click here.

Posts: 2426 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ugh! Not for me. If I had to work a 10 hour day, I wouldn't get home until 7:45 p.m. Because I get up at 5:45 a.m. to be on the road in time to get to work by 8:00 a.m., I would have two to two and a half hours at night to myself. I would also have to pay the pet sitter another major amount of money to come back in to feed and potty dogs! Why not just give employees who qualify the chance to work from home one day a week. All I need for my job is a computer, a DSL or cable connect to the Internet, and a phone. I have the first two, I can access Outlook from home, and I can answer 98% of the questions I get by phone.

Janette A

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post