TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Tech Outruns Law
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tech Outruns Law Login/Join 
posted
Two and a half years into the crusade against distracted driving, automakers are equipping vehicles with new technology that might circumvent the 34 state laws that prohibit text messaging behind the wheel, which 95 percent of Americans say is dangerous.

The manufacturers say the new hands-free text-messaging systems will reduce the risk of distraction. Safety advocates aren't so sure. And experts say it will require careful analysis to determine whether laws that ban drivers from sending and receiving text messages will apply to hands-free methods.

Details.

[It is interesting to watch society come to grips with a simultaneous fascination with new technology and a concern for public safety. We know that new distractions from driving are dangerous. But we can't resist the technology that entertains and communicates for us while driving.

And, just as states are beginning to ban texting and begin thinking about banning talking on a hand-held phone, the technology morphs into something else entirely.

Presumably, the carmakers have done their research and think they can make more money selling these new systems than they will have to pay out in lawsuits arising from car wrecks caused by distracted drivers.

What do you think?]

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So this new technology allows two people to communicate with one another by talking into a receiver? I remember when they used to call this talking on the telephone.

Posts: 106 | Location: Galveston, Tx. | Registered: May 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll admit that I'm distracted when talking on the phone. It's not just a matter of having one hand tied up; it's a matter of lack of focus. IMO it's the same for anyone driving and talking on the phone. It's just a matter of time until the lack of focus bites you. I don't see any difference between that and this new texting technology.

Posts: 137 | Location: Corsicana, TX | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post