TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Dismissals in the Interest of Justice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dismissals in the Interest of Justice Login/Join 
posted
Recently, one of the Justices of the Peace here in Dallas County has been refusing to sign Dismissals we send him if we do not set out the factual and/or legal bases for our Motion to Dismiss.

Here's the text of our Motion:

quote:
NOW COMES the State of Texas, by and through Dallas County Criminal District Attorney Craig Watkins, and, pursuant to Article 32.02 of the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure, files this State's Motion for Permission to Dismiss Criminal Action, and in support thereof would show unto the Court as follows:
After further investigation, the undersigned Assistant Attorney has concluded that justice would best be served by dismissal of the instant criminal action.
WHEREFORE, premises considered, the State respectfully requests the Court's permission to dismiss the above-captioned and numbered criminal action.

The JP says that "justice would best be served" is argument and not a reason. Is there anything anybody here can think of that would help me convince this JP that our Motion is sufficient? The fact that every other Judge in the County accepts this Motion is not convincing to him.

Posts: 18 | Registered: June 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your reason is sufficient. Check out this thread on the related issue of whether a judge must sign a dismissal.

See also this thread.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most of us use a form motion to dismiss that has a checklist of reasons for the dismissal. That might solve your problem.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JB:
Your reason is sufficient. Check out this https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=347098965&f=157098965&m=981103061&r=792100171#792100171 on the related issue of whether a judge must sign a dismissal.

See also this https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums?q=Y&a=tpc&s=347098965&f=157098965&m=4991057251&p=1

That second thread arose out of another situation involving my division, so I'm well aware of that.

I guess my question boils down to how do I convince this JP that our reason is sufficient under 32.02.

quote:
Most of us use a form motion to dismiss that has a checklist of reasons for the dismissal. That might solve your problem.

I may suggest this route.

Posts: 18 | Registered: June 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you tried lunch with the JP?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny JB. Funny, but practical advice.

Posts: 50 | Location: Anderson, Texas | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post