TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Is it just me?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it just me? Login/Join 
posted
Or, does this seem to be a little much?

Defendant was convicted of PCS and sentenced to 25 years. Notified the court he wished to appeal the verdict and was appointed counsel. Counsel filed an Anders brief. COA struck the Anders brief on the following grounds:

1) Judgement reflected a restitution to the DPS drug lab of $140.

2) Judgement reflected conviction under 481.123d. (This was wrong, should have been 481.115d. This was enhanced to first degree by prior conviction.)

COA orders new appellate counsel be appointed. Is this really necessary?

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do a nunc pro tunc correcting both and see if it matters.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am going to try the Nunc Pro Tunc approach. However, were is the authorization to charge a reimbursement fee for the drug testing?

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is authority in the CCP, article 42.12, but that applies to a condition of probation.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And this backs that up. Aguilar v. StateCourt of Appeals of Texas, Austin.February 23, 2007
279 S.W.3d 350. Appropriate Nunc Pro Tunc filed. Thanks