TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Felony Plea in Absentia
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Felony Plea in Absentia Login/Join 
posted
Is anyone doing pleas in absentia in felony cases or doing zoom pleas from TDCJ? It is not something I have done but I have two defense attorneys now asking about it. It seems ideal in our current Covid world to not have to bench defendants back. Both Defendants are represented by counsel and have been provided discovery. Are there any other problems that I'm not thinking about? If anyone has the plea forms I would really appreciate a copy!

Posts: 11 | Registered: March 31, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We haven’t gambled with a felony plea in absentia, but since almost all of our defendants are in TDCJ, we’ve figured out a pretty reliable system for pleading them out. It’s a lot of work, but it’s possible.

Happy to answer any questions about the TDCJ pleas that I can!

Posts: 198 | Location: San Marcos, Tx | Registered: June 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We've been doing pleas on WebEx, similar to Zoom, all during Covid and haven't had issues with it. Make sure that you have a signed waiver per CCP 27.18 for a videoconference plea.

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post