TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    motion in limine for bench trial???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

motion in limine for bench trial??? Login/Join 
posted
As a new prosecutor, I appreciated Greg Gilleland's article in the recent issue of 'The Texas Prosecutor' titled: Back to Basics - Case Preparation.

In his article, he talks about using a motion in limine in nearly all his trials.

I have a bench trial coming up next week. I know there are at least 2 issues that I would like to prevent defense from inquiring into upon cross examination of my witnesses.

However, since it is a bench trial, does it really make sense to file a motion in limine when the judge would hear about the issues before trial anyway during his ruling on the motion?

I would appreciate the advice of any experienced prosecutors on this issue.

Posts: 20 | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I certainly appreciate the nice remarks about the article. Glad it helped and that you found it interesting.

I see no need for a motion in limine on a bench trial. The Court is deemed to know the difference between admissible and inadmissible evidence.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Greg.

Fantastic article. . . .VERY helpful to us new guys/gals. I made I checklist from it to use for future trial prep.

Posts: 20 | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post