TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Destroyed Traffic Stop Video
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Destroyed Traffic Stop Video Login/Join 
posted
In our area, DPS preserves traffic stop videos for about three months. I have asked the JP's office to notify DPS to preserve the video as soon as an offender requests a trial, but this rarely happens. So, more than three months after the stop we have trials set and the videos have been destroyed. Does anyone see Brady issues or destruction of evidence issues here? My inclination is just to dismiss the tickets if we can't get to trial before the evidence is destroyed. Agree? Disagree?

Posts: 24 | Location: Stratford, Texas, Sherman | Registered: February 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't really see a need to dismiss, and we deal with this issue here. For one thing, the video is probably not exculpatory. But even if it is, I would say the duty is on prosecutors to share evidence within the state's possession. If it's been destroyed, then it's not in our possession, through no fault of our own.

Posts: 26 | Registered: December 05, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post