TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Custodial interrogation or not?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custodial interrogation or not? Login/Join 
posted
I've got some caselaw on what is and isn't custodial interrogation - but most of it is DWI related and DWI investigation related. In this situation, D is stopped for fleeing from police, detained felony style in handcuffs while passenger is dealt with - then D is brought in front of the camera in handcuffs and asked questions about what he saw/didn't see while fleeing from officer (D admits that he saw officer's lights and kept going), then officer uncuffs him on camera and proceeds with DWI case.
Issue is whether the questioning while being detained in handcuffs prior to DWI investigation is suppressible. I will be trying the fleeing and not the DWI.

About to do some research, but any thoughts would be helpful. Thx.

Posts: 71 | Location: Galveston, Texas, US | Registered: November 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
D counsel is almost certainly going to try and keep these incriminating statements out - miranda, custodial interrogation, etc. I'm looking for a detention/investigation questions versus custodial interrogation distinction.

Posts: 71 | Location: Galveston, Texas, US | Registered: November 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Matt,

You're not going to have trouble finding a whole ton of cases on this subject, but the most recent case with slightly similar facts we've had in our case summaries is this one out of Houston: Ortiz v. State

Hope that gets you started!

Posts: 198 | Location: San Marcos, Tx | Registered: June 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks a bunch. I've found some good stuff.

posted Hide Post
In y'all's opinion, should the DWI investigation be pre-emptively redacted? I need all the evidence I can get of "motive" to flee - and underage drinking, the finding of a marijuana pipe in the vehicle, and the fake virginia i.d. being found is all relevant as to motive to run, at least IMO.

posted Hide Post
Redacted for what… discovery purposes?

Posts: 198 | Location: San Marcos, Tx | Registered: June 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trial.