TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Destruction of Evidence
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Destruction of Evidence Login/Join 
posted
Area investigative agencies are looking for our guidance in terms of clearing evidence from storage. We'd like to develop a basic checklist to help them determine when an order is or is not required, and otherwise only request assistance from our office in drafting the more complicated motions to dispose of evidence. Hoping not to re-invent the wheel if anyone has some basic forms that we can tailor to meet our needs. Thanks!

Posts: 1 | Location: Medina County | Registered: January 24, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We routinely have the defendant sign a "notice of intent to destroy evidence" on each of our misdemeanor pleas, along with the prosecutor and judge. This process was started at the request of the local PD in a effort to reduce the evidence room backlog. I am not sure this is the "best practice" but it seems to work for most evidence, according to the evidence officer.

Posts: 568 | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ms. Swyers, I sent you an e-mail with an attachment. If you don't receive it, please let me know and I'll resend.

Posts: 526 | Location: Del Rio, Texas | Registered: April 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post