TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Felony DWI
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Felony DWI Login/Join 
posted
Hey gang quick question. I have a defense attorney who is convinced that if he files untimley appeals in prior DWI convictions then I will be unable to use them to enhance his DWI 3rd to a felony. I thought there was a semi recent case that dealt directly with this issue but I cant find it. Thanks for the help.

Posts: 37 | Registered: February 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gee, that sounds vaguely unethical. Done solely for the purpose of delay?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jones v. State, 77 S.W.3d 819 (Tex. Crim. App. 2002)

This case deals with Automatic Suspension; License Denial, but holds that only when there is evidence that the defendant actually perfected an appeal is the conviction deemed to be lacking finality. The fact that there is still time to file an appeal, but no evidence that one has been filed, is irrelevant.

Posts: 10 | Location: Denton | Registered: April 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is he going to ignore the requirement that he get the court's permission to appeal plea bargained priors as well?

Posts: 622 | Location: San Marcos | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post