TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Reference Material
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reference Material Login/Join 
posted
I am looking for recommendations for quality criminal law reference materials. The prior DA was here for 18 years and it looks like he never ordered any new reference materials. While he didn't need them, I do. My bookshelves are near empty and what remains is all from the 1980s. I even have some wondeful old Trial Tactics Tapes from the NDAA from 1973! I have several of the TDCAA books but was wondering what else is used in other offices. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Posts: 146 | Location: Vernon, Texas | Registered: February 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I swear by the Lang Baker handbooks.
http://www.bakers-legal-pages.com

Very easy to navigate and are a great jumping off point when you need a quick answer.

Posts: 280 | Registered: October 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find the things we can't live without (keeping in mind that my most gracious and wonderful boss has spared me appeals duties) are:

1. TDCAA Indictment Manual;
2. Richard Alpert's (TDCAA) DWI Manual;
3. TDCAA Sex Offender Book (it makes a confusing topic actually make sense);
4. TDCAA Criminal Laws of Texas (with CCP, Penal Code, HSC, Juvenile Fam Code; and Rules of Evidence);
5. O'Connors Civil Trials (for Civil and Forfeiture Duties);
6. John Bradley's (TDCAA) The Perfect Plea;
7. Texas Criminal Jury Charges (McClung's) from James Publishing;
8. Westlaw via Internet for Texas state and federal cases; and
9. Robert Dawson's Texas Juvenile Law (from State Bar Juvenile Section).

Posts: 478 | Location: Parker County, Texas | Registered: March 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would add to that list Texas Practice, Criminal Practice and Procedure by Dix and Dawson.

Posts: 70 | Location: Sinton, Texas, USA | Registered: January 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd forego McClungs in favor of McCormick's Texas Practice, 7,7A, and 8.

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A subscription to Lexis and Texas Lawyer. One for case law. The other for good gossip.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the recommendations.

Lexis would be a giant leap forward for our office. We just got the internet hooked up in December when I took over! I guess while I am making room in the budget for the reference materials I will go ahead and beg for Lexis as well.

Posts: 146 | Location: Vernon, Texas | Registered: February 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lexis is much cheaper than refererence materials. Prosecutors get a substantial break in cost.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We pay $45 per month per lawyer for Lexis.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is that for unlimited use? That is an outstanding price. For me that would work out to just $45 per month.

posted Hide Post
I pay $82.00 a month for Lexis under the state contract. I would love to know how you get it for $45.00. Of course, I am a one-lawyer operation and that may have something to do with it. The $82.00 is for unlimited use of the entire Lexis "library," which is very nice to have.

Professor Dawson's Juvenile Law (6th ed.) is a nice reference if you have to practice in that area.

Posts: 366 | Location: Plainview, Hale County | Registered: January 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Top 30-Minute Guy Meals" by Rachael Ray. Have the county commissioners over and impress them with a manly, home-made meal then show them the Internet and how you can look cool stuff up on it. Don't use big words though, you don't want to lose them before dessert.

Posts: 751 | Location: Huntsville, Tx | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have westlaw now, but I much prefer Lexis, because you get Teague's with Lexis.

Also, get everything applicable in the TDCAA library. Those books will answer 50-75% of the questions you encounter.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post