TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Legal Brilliance
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Legal Brilliance Login/Join 
posted
Defense attorney files a motion to suppress the blood on a DWI search warrant because, at the time the Defendant refused to provide a specimen, he did not have the normal use of his mental faculties due to the introduction of alcohol. Crap. I think he's got us.

Posts: 64 | Location: Brazos County, Texas | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And, as his motion illustrates, still too intoxicated to stand trial!

Posts: 444 | Location: Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If he's too intoxicated to withdraw consent, then doesn't that mean implied consent stands?

And if the judge throws the evidence out, can we use that judicial determination that he was intoxicated at trial? Smile

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
in 1989 - but it was slightly different - the defense sought to suppress the video because his client was too intoxicated to voluntarily participate in the sobriety tests, as the BAT results from the intoxilyzer showed (I think he was a 0.16). The defense counsel was very upset he lost.

Posts: 218 | Location: The Border | Registered: April 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Which I guess is why the Legislature felt the need to state the obvious in the Penal Code: voluntary intoxication is not a defense, especially to a charge involving intoxication.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Defense counsel just dropped the same type of motion to suppress blood alcohol draw for no warrant.

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All this legal brilliance just has me asking one question:

At what point are motions frivolous?

Posts: 394 | Location: Waco, Tx | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On behalf of a defendant, never. Or at least that seems to be the rule. :\

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is no such thing as a frivolous defense motion, BUT, a good judge can dispose of them quickly. I have had several judges deny motions without a hearing, and they have never been reversed on appeal. Sometimes, getting a judge with the intestinal fortitude to do just that is another thing.

Posts: 218 | Location: The Border | Registered: April 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post