TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Prosecutor Training In Afghanistan
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prosecutor Training In Afghanistan Login/Join 
posted
It is a wonderment: I find myself wondering if there is a small herd of folk volunteering for this job on the job bank. I would go, but somehow I don't think that complex procedural issues regarding the mental state of a defendant at the time of an offense holds high priority when one is simply trying to establish the most basic judicial rights and procedures.

Posts: 264 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's hot enough here, thank you. Never mind the war. I would probably die in Afghanistan from the heat alone.

I'm meeellllllltiiing......

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Floyd. We met when I worked in Fort Bend County and was prosecuting the Dan Leach case.

I have never had the desire to impose myself, occupationally speaking, on foreign soil, where democracy is a concept, regardless of the financial reward. However, Terry Breen could give this topic some insight, as he did some public prosecution in some dangerous part of Africa during the 80's.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, in retrospect, I suspect my comment was a poor attempt at lightheartedness about matters that deserve more. In fact, as you well know, Greg, we have enough difficulty trying to sort out nuances of what mental state issues do - or don't do - to effective prosecution (or defense) in this country with over two hundred years of history and diligence in interpreting fundamental rights. It strains credulity to imagine how one would "start from scratch" in a culture where the matters we take for granted are not within the Weltenschaung of the citizenry. So, please forgive my effrontry.

Posts: 264 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First, a disclaimer. I've never had the illusion of knowing enough of what I speak to try and enter a conversation with Floyd.

But with that said, I think I speak for a substantial portion of the lurkers in this little corner of cyberspace when I say our concern isn't your insight into the potential pitfalls of building a judicial system in a country with little history in seeking objective justice. It is, instead, with the free use of words like "Weltenschaung" and "effrontry." If you keep using language like that, the next thing you know, we'll have the intelligentsia creeping into this forum. And with them will come the inescapable decline in property values. Wink

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To return the post to the author's intended spirit of lightheartedness:

Don't be too intimidated Scott, he misspelled Weltanschauug and effrontery. Smile

3 entries found for Weltanschauung.

n. The overall perspective from which one sees and interprets the world.
A collection of beliefs about life and the universe held by an individual or a group.

Weltanschauung

n : a comprehensive view of the world and human life [syn: Weltanschauung, world view]

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will defend Floyd to my dying breath as a mental health practitioner who speaks the truth. In the case I had with him, although hired by the defense, his testimony "sank the defendant's boat". Or in other words, his testimony "put a hole in the defendant's bucket".

Floyd speaks the truth. And I like his big vocabulary. Wink

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I seem to have stepped in it. I certainly meant absolutely no disrespect to Floyd, nor did I even mean to call him onto the carpet. Though I've not had the pleasure of meeting him, I find his commentary on this site to be insightful and eloquent. My post was a ham-handed attempt at humor, primarily intended to be self-deprecatory in pointing up the shortcomings of my own vocabulary (at least Phillip took the time to look those words up on Dictionary.com).

Floyd, please accept my humble apology. And I wouldn't go to Afghanistan under these circumstances, either. I already live in the desert. I don't need to travel to another one to undertake a Herculean task.

Rock on.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who cares if you spell Wetschunhungandinger wrong...the hard part is knowing there's a word out there that fits what he's talking about. I've already applied for the banjo player position in the Afghan bluegrass band and Taliban Unlimited hunting club. But I think I spelled most of the words wrong on the application and they haven't gotten back with me yet.

Posts: 751 | Location: Huntsville, Tx | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Brumley:
First, a disclaimer. I've never had the illusion of knowing enough of what I speak to try and enter a conversation with Floyd.

But with that said, I think I speak for a substantial portion of the lurkers in this little corner of cyberspace when I say our concern isn't your insight into the potential pitfalls of building a judicial system in a country with little history in seeking objective justice. It is, instead, with the free use of words like "Weltenschaung" and "effrontry." If you keep using language like that, the next thing you know, we'll have the intelligentsia creeping into this forum. And with them will come the inescapable decline in property values. Wink

I thought it was funny, Scott. Smile

posted Hide Post
Well I am very grateful for at least one of the prosecutors that is willing to undertake that enormous task....I start work in her old position next Monday.

Safe travels and many blessings while you are there Jeanne !!

Posts: 641 | Location: Longview, Texas | Registered: October 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
job hopper. Smile Big Grin Smile

posted Hide Post
So that's how you gets all those great positions, Stacey!

Did Jeanne volunteer or did you secretly sign her up by forging her signature and then convincing her she had been drafted?

Posts: 71 | Location: Henderson, Texas | Registered: June 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hypnotism is a powerful tool Wink

Posts: 641 | Location: Longview, Texas | Registered: October 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Scott. I enjoyed that little taste of schadenfreude. Wink

Posts: 39 | Location: Crockett, Texas, USA | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd jump at the chance to go to Afghanistan and "mentor" prosecutors. I have an idea that most of what I'd try to impart to them would be like water off a duck's back--there is a limit to what a Boy Scout can do in bringing an 8th Century Mind-set (or "Weltershugun" as Floyd calls it)into the 21st Century, but I sure think it would be a ton of fun to be over there.

But having been married for over 2 years now, I already know, without even bringing it up, that if I did, my wife would jump up and down and get real excited, and probably accuse me of being crazy--you know how girls are.

Posts: 686 | Location: Beeville, Texas, U.S.A. | Registered: March 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tell Jeanne to sneak it into the new constitution that they have to give breath tests whenever asked or they forfeit their horse and AK-47 and can be prosecuted for it.

Posts: 357 | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ja. Das Wort Weltanschauung is rein Deutsch. Es ist sehr leicht zu verstehen, wenn man schon Deutsch redet. Die Teile des Wortes lauten so: Welt heisst "world" anschauen heisst "look" oder "view" und -ung ist einfach eine weibliche Wortendung, woraus man einen Substantiven aus einem Verb macht.

Es gibt viele Beispiele davon: deutsche Woerter, die amerikanisiert worden sind. Im Deutschen gibt es auch viele Beispiele, worin englische oder amerikanische Woerter einverdeutscht worden sind.

Posts: 124 | Location: West Texas | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. The word world view is purely German. It is very easy to understand, if one already talks German. The parts of the word read in such a way: World is called �world� looks at is called �look� or �view� and - ung female word dung is simple, from which one makes for nouns from a verb. There are many examples of it: German words, which were amerikanisiert. In German there are also many examples, where English or American words were einverdeutscht.

Posts: 39 | Location: Crockett, Texas, USA | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JMH:
Tell Jeanne to sneak it into the new constitution that they have to give breath tests whenever asked or they forfeit their horse and AK-47 and can be prosecuted for it.

Don't give Terry any ideas. Smile