TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Continuous Family Violence
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Continuous Family Violence Login/Join 
posted
Is it proper to charge a Defendant in Texas with Continuous Family Violence (2 assaults w/in 12 month period) if one of the assaults is alleged to have happened in another State?

Posts: 52 | Location: TX, USA | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My thought would be no. The statute says engages in conduct that constitutes an offense under 22.01(a)(1). The CCA recently addressed this issue regarding continuous sexual abuse of a child in Lee V. State PD-0880-16(opinion issued on 10/4/17). I would read Lee, although the language of the statutes are slightly different I think the same analysis would apply and that both assaults must take place within Texas.

Posts: 29 | Location: Waco, TX | Registered: May 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was absolutely my concern following the opinion in Lee. Thanks.

Posts: 52 | Location: TX, USA | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'd agree. You could definitely introduce evidence of the out-of-state assault, but your jurisdictional two assaults would need to be within Texas under Lee.

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post