TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Forfeited Facebook Password as COP or Condition of Bond
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forfeited Facebook Password as COP or Condition of Bond Login/Join 
posted
What do you all think about a judge ordering a person to forfeit facebook passwords as a condition of probation? What about as a condition of bond?

I could potentially see problems if a judge orders the password forfeited as a bond condition and the pretrial department finds that they have confessed to the murder online under a password protected account.

One of our judges is considering doing this as a standard bond condition and probation condition. I can't find any case law on the issue.

Posts: 16 | Location: Tyler, Texas, USA | Registered: June 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would you let the judge insert a condition of bond where the person had to turn over all of their mail to the judge to be read? Or to give up their diaries?

As a condition of probation it's perhaps a closer case, but even then I'd ask that he just prohibit the use of facebook, rather than decide to bypass that whole tricky 4th Amendment.

Posts: 394 | Location: Waco, Tx | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know that we routinely require juvenile probationer's to provide their JPO with the passwords for Facebook and MySpace as a condition of probation.

Posts: 478 | Location: Parker County, Texas | Registered: March 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brody,

I totally agree. This isn't something that our office is asking for, rather something that the judge is thinking of doing on his own. I can see problems on the horizon....

Posts: 16 | Location: Tyler, Texas, USA | Registered: June 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post