TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    A prayer for Former State Rep. Ron Wilson
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A prayer for Former State Rep. Ron Wilson Login/Join 
posted
Ron suffered a debilitating stroke last week, and is recovering in the hospital as I write this. Apparently, he is currently unable to speak. I'm asking that anyone so inclined pray for his recovery and his family.

Ron WIlson

Many of you don't know it, but Ron did some great things for prosecutors in this State. I saw them happen. I know them to be true. I've never told many people about the great things he did for us as prosecutors, so now is probably a pretty good time to relate those deeds.

I've always admired Ron. First off, he's a self made man, and a great success at not only being a representative, a politician and a lawyer but a stellar family man.

Many don't know it, but Ron is also world class bassist. He has that level of talent that few possess on the instrument, and on the electric guitar as well. Our interest in music is one of our common bonds. Over the years, our paths would cross in courthouses, bars we were playing in and at music stores in Houston.

Had he chosen to be a professional musician instead of his many other callings (politician, representative, college teacher and lawyer, to name a few), he would undoubtedly be famous for that. He is really that good of a musician. Once, just for fun during a break at a gig I was at, he picked up a guitar and pulled off a note-for-note rendition of the Hendrix version of the Star Spangled Banner, replete with teeth picking solo. Note for note, I kid you not. I was amazed. He was modest.

But it wasn't until my former court partner Gil Epstein was murdered that I really got to know the fantastic person Ron is. Ron was handling a case with Gil then, representing ex-Geto Boy Bushwick Bill in Fort Bend. Gil was a fan of the Geto Boys, and spent much time counseling Bushwick to make changes in his life and be a positive role model.

During that case, Gil was murdered during an aggravated robbery in the parking lot of Houston's Jewish Community Center in September of 1996. Gil was killed because the killer saw his DA badge and thought Gil was a cop. The ex-con killer didn't want to go back to prison, and so he killed Gil.

Ron and his wife were a constant presence in the following days, expressing their deep grief as well as a strong willingness to pray and help all of Gil's friends who were devastated.

Ron's efforts in this regard extended to Gil's parents. Ron sought them out and on one of the Epstein's visits to Houston, he took them to Austin for a private audience with then Governor Bush. Governor Bush and Ron spent about an hour talking to the Epsteins about their loss, about their son and about how much Texas not only mourned their loss but appreciated the service of their son as a prosecutor. Governor Bush presented the Epsteins with a Texas flag that was flown in memorial over the Capital for their son, and all of this was arranged by Ron.

You can imagine the effect of a gesture of this sort. Gil's parents were Holocaust survivors and immigrants to this country. To have a Governor, who would soon be President, spend time with them in their worst days ever meant a lot to them.

Ron did many other nice things for the Epsteins during those days immediately following the murder, and during the trial of Gil's killer Ron was always making sure the Epsteins were okay.

A few years later, when Bushwick Bill dedicated a CD and a song to Gil. Ron played bass on that album. Ron and Gil had become personal friends, sharing a love of hot rodded cars.

In 1997, I spent several days at the legislature, testifying and going around with Ron in support of adding prosecutors to a retaliation bill that would allow capital murder charges to someone who killed a prosecutor on account of his official services. Ron was concerned about the welfare of us, and spent a great deal of time lobbying and making deals to make this amendment happen. I know Rob Kepple might remember our encounters at the Leg, because he helped bring about the change.

Thereafter, I would often gather with Ron at various gigs he had in Houston, and he would often show up unannounced at gigs I was playing. I have a good friend who played in a band with Ron and the late Mickey Leland back when Ron was in UT and had just been elected to the legislature. There are no stories of Ron chasing women, or getting drunk or doing drugs. These days, that seems a rarity for politicians.

Ron never drank. Ever. He doesn't smoke and he didn't do drugs. Everytime I had a meal with him, he was eating healthy. He was in great shape the last time I saw him. The picture of health. Ron was always with his wife, two sons, his parents in Houston or his in-laws in L.A. A real family man, 24/7.

Sorry for the long post, but I really like Ron Wilson. He did great things for me as a friend in my darkest hours, and refused to ever let me do anything for him or his family in return. His personal support, as was that of my wife and co-workers, was instrumental in my dealing with the loss of Gil.

Some of you might think that as a defense attorney or a maverick legislator, he wasn't a friend to prosecutors. Nothing could be further from the truth, and I ask you to include Ron and his family in your prayers.

I've got a million great Ron stories, and I've often wanted to write an article for Texas Monthly about the Ron Wilson I know. He's a damn good man. He's a damn good Texan. And I wish him a speedy recovery.

[This message was edited by Greg Gilleland on 08-17-09 at .]

[This message was edited by Greg Gilleland on 08-17-09 at .]

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember Ron speaking at Gil's eulogy on the Fort Bend County Courthouse steps.

Posts: 62 | Location: Richmond, Texas, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greg, thanks for posting this. I don't know Ron personally but he is definitely one of the good guys!

My thoughts and prayers are with the Wilson family for a speedy recovery.

Posts: 293 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: January 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post