TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Attorney General v District Attorney
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Attorney General v District Attorney Login/Join 
posted
I'm set to graduate from Texas in May and am hoping to get my foot in the door at either a local DA's office or the AG's office.

I'm planning on staying Austin and have thought about Travis County atty's office & Williamson County - I feel both those places are hard to get into. Does the AG's office handle similar work - would I be able to get into the courtroom just the same as any county attorney's office?

I took the bar early in February in hopes that I might get a jump start on my classmates who are taking the bar in July? I am getting married in November and am starting to get anxious about finding an opportunity in the Austin area.

Posts: 4 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: April 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have no openings at the moment, but don't forget the other small counties within driving distance from A town. Lockhart, Belton, Blanco, New Braunsfels, Llano, San Marcos, Burnet...the list goes on. I have a good friend who commutes daily from Round Rock to Waco, because she got a good doj job there and her hub works in Austin. Hit the road at least a day a week taking resumes to the smaller da's offices, and possibly, if your financial situation will allow, offer to do a free internship if it sounds like one has a job opening soon. The job boards here are good, but not every agency posts their openings here.

I don't speak for the AG's office, but usually I think the AG's hire folks with experience. I could be wrong.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I worked for the AG once upon a time before entering prosecution. The AG's office has multiple divisions, both civil and criminal, but only a few attorneys who do the actual "hands on" trial prosecution of criminal cases-usually at the request of local DA's. Most of the AG's criminal involvment concerns appeals and/or habeas proceedings, some of which can get you into the courtroom but not necessarily into trial. My old division, Law Enforcement Defense (or whatever they call it now), did a ton civil trials primarily in federal court defending TDCJ and other state law enforcement entities whenever they got sued. Although it was civil litigation, it was great trial experience and very "criminal justice oriented."

Posts: 293 | Registered: April 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are in luck, Patrick. Joe Paterno posted a question similar to yours in Jan., and several of us (including yours truly) gave him some truly First Class advice for getting a prosecuting job.

I don't know how to link to his first post, but there are only about 4 posts from Joe. He goes by joepaterno in this forum (perhaps to disguise his famous identity), so you can find it pretty easily. (Maybe some techno whiz can figure out how to link to his post and put it on here.)

When you read my post to his question, you'll understand why, with your name, you shouldn't have too much of a problem finding a job.

Posts: 686 | Location: Beeville, Texas, U.S.A. | Registered: March 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Joe's post and the ensuing replies can be found here. Good luck with your search!

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Those accomplishments seem to pale compared to the really important things: having an Irish name, being stood up, being a former Jar-head, having good looks, etc."

So this guy in Zimbabwe hired you on the spot? Has he by any chance been reassigned to the AG's office here in Austin?

I played golf the other day with someone who had woreked at the AG's office for 20 odd years - he gave me the names of some people to contact and told me to tell them he sent me over. I'm just apprehensive about name-dropping.

Posts: 4 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: April 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Employed discreetly, not abused, names can get you places. You need to distinguish yourself from other similarly qualified applicants. (Don't underestimate the old adage: "it's not what you know, but who you know"). Of course, you want to be as sure as you can that the people you identify with are also considered in good standing. Good luck.

Posts: 532 | Location: McKinney, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You want to connect with as many things as possible with your prospective employers. I'd pick out a contact with an Irish name, and call him.

And bone up on your Irish history, of course.

But you might also want to look around beyond Austin. Every time I drive to Austin, and get stuck in traffic (which is every time I drive to Austin), I look around at the drivers in the other vehicles, and wonder to myself: do these people do this every day? What a drag!

And to prosecute in Travis County--that has got to be a challange.

Believe me: there are some real advantages to prosecuting in a hick town.

Good luck!

Posts: 686 | Location: Beeville, Texas, U.S.A. | Registered: March 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post