TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    What's wrong with using your name?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's wrong with using your name? Login/Join 
posted
What is going on with all these long-time posters suddenly using their initials rather than their names?

I've been using this forum a long time, and have gotten to know a bit about some of the regulars on here. Suddenly, a lot of familiar names are gone, and all I have are a bunch of meaningless initials.

Just out of spite, I've logged on using my badge number, so I can be even more anonamous (sp?) as you ititializers.

I say: let's go back to names. We were given them for a reason: so we can be identified by others. Smile

Posts: 5 | Registered: March 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought you were Hawaii five-O.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I changed my nickname just for search engine purposes. (And, in the interest of full disclosure, to better harass Stride when he changed his. Wink) There are enough hits right now if you do a search on my real name, most of them not even me, so I see no reason to add to it. My feeling is as long as you're still clearly identifiable (as I am, since my last name is still available in my email address), there's nothing wrong and probably a lot beneficial with using a less-common nickname.

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
plus lately the grits I've been having for breakfast give me heartburn.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ditto, and I don't want anyone thinking the actor John Stride (the original Omen) and me are the same person! He is a better person than me.

JAS

Posts: 586 | Location: Denton,TX | Registered: January 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AndreaW:

What is beneficial about using a nick name rather than your real one?

In any case, I don't mind a nick name, since I can remember that. But initials are pretty bland. I just recently figured out that JAS was John Stride. I wished I knew that all along. I'm sure there are other initials out there from posters I know about, but now don't have a clue who they are.

posted Hide Post
No search engine is powerful enough to keep me in the closet!

Posts: 245 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: July 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most of those using something less than their normal appellation are not bashful. So I thought they were just being trendy. But, I am sure there are better reasons and explanations. Indeed, anonymity or intrigue can be useful. So, 5-0, is it important that we know exactly who you are or why you visited as an unregistered guest for so long?

Hmmm, What's in a name?

Posts: 2386 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in the phone book, but luckily, not as important as you other talented folks. So, nobody has harangued me in the quiet moments as yet.

Exit only (not a nickname, a vehement demand)

Posts: 751 | Location: Huntsville, Tx | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAS:
Ditto, and I don't want anyone thinking the actor John Stride (the original Omen) and me are the same person! He is a better person than me.

JAS

at least you got to be someone cool. i get mr. mcfeely from mr. roger's neighborhood.

curse you, non-abbreviated real name!

[This message was edited by David Newell on 03-23-07 at .]

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but A.P., you probably have a Glock wherever you go . . .

I like having some separation between my name and the search engines.

Posts: 2138 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope.

Gun of preference: S&W mod 39

Banjo of choice: Gibson Mastertone

Drummer of all time: GG

Lead player and wailer who makes me proud: Scott, Dr. Rock, Brumley

Bass mentor and master of the art: Erik N.

All-time favorite Keyboardist: "Tickle the Ivories" Durfee

Next-best-thing-to-Martina, or Rachael Ray for that matter: Sarah W.

End of life history. Exit only

Posts: 751 | Location: Huntsville, Tx | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Martin:

I have registered under my real name, and have used it a number of times in the past. I just registered as my badge number for this one particular post.

I don't care if the search engines have discovered my real name. I haven't said anything here that I'm ashamed of yet.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.P. Merillat:
Nope.

Gun of preference: S&W mod 39

Banjo of choice: Gibson Mastertone

Drummer of all time: GG

Lead player and wailer who makes me proud: Scott, Dr. Rock, Brumley

Bass mentor and master of the art: Erik N.

All-time favorite Keyboardist: "Tickle the Ivories" Durfee

Next-best-thing-to-Martina, or Rachael Ray for that matter: Sarah W.

End of life history. Exit only

Thanks for the props. Likewise, AP is our philosopher. I agree, the model 39 is a fine weapon. Used to have one, want one again, especially an ASP modified one from seventrees.

posted Hide Post
Ahhh, dear Greg, mine is a vintage 1979 model. But, like my cherished TDCAA dominoes, nobody, not even you, Gene Krupa Jr., can have it.

posted Hide Post
BOLO for one in your travels, my friend.

posted Hide Post
greg's 1000th post.

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently had an abolitionist zealot google my name and try to dig up a criminal history on me (without success). This particular creep downloaded information about my family (names of children, husband, parents, dob, etc.) and sent it all to an inmate on death row.

So that's why I don't like having my full name associated with ya'll. . . .

Posts: 146 | Location: Dallas, Texas USA | Registered: November 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went to first name and first letter of last name in the interest of time. My last name is sooooo loooooong.

Janette A

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess he just didn't know where to look, Kim.

Posts: 2138 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post