TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    County Jail Survival Guide
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

County Jail Survival Guide Login/Join 
posted
quote:
Going to jail isn�t fun for anybody � the person going, the family and friends who are
left behind, the taxpayers. This guide is meant to share information that will prepare
everybody for the realities of life behind bars.

County Jail Survival Guide

Posts: 200 | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
In general, most misdemeanors can be expunged from your record eventually �C
completely removed as if the crime never occurred. There are some exceptions
(many states do not allow sex crimes involving minors to ever be expunged). Be
sure to discuss the long�\term implication of your conviction before agreeing to a
plea bargain.

This is just one of many excerpts at which I wanted to vomit and scream "who writes this &^$^#!>??"

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have the schematics for the prison tattooed on your body in advance.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gretchen, maybe that explains all the calls I keep getting from people saying "I just got out of jail and wanted to get one of those expunjafications." Oy. I can't even bring myself to read it.

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I stopped at page 3 or so because I was so annoyed that someone thought this was actually a good idea. There are certain things that families should be aware of, sure. But providing incorrect legal advice or incorrect information (e.g., most prosecutors "overcharge" to have strength in plea bargaining) is doing a complete disservice to everyone.

I'm sure it only partially explains all those expuncification calls you get, Andrea. Smile

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But if you don't read the whole thing you miss gems like

quote:
Spend some time in the gym. You should be able to avoid violence if you are
prepared for jail, but it won�t hurt to be in good shape if somebody is trying to start
something with you.

Posts: 200 | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Someone more creative than myself should add art to this. Stick figures would be good.
O \O/
/|\ |
/ \ / \

posted Hide Post
"If you have a warrant, don�t visit somebody in jail. You won�t be allowed to visit the
inmate and will probably be detained. The jail will check your identification and do a
warrant check before allowing you to visit an inmate."

"Pretty much everybody who visits an inmate in jail has a story about how mean the guards are � don�t take it personally."

This guide would be quite entertaining if it weren't irresponsible. Maybe it was written to be tongue in cheek?

Posts: 74 | Location: Hempstead, TX USA | Registered: February 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Andrea--As annoying and ignorant as that little thesis on expunction law was, I still don't think it can compare to the ATTORNEY who made the following valiant argument in defense of his expunction petition (in the hall and only to me, unfortunately, not in front of the judge, or I would have gladly paid for the transcript myself):

"C'mon, he just paid a $200 fine and court costs, that's it. What do you mean, "That's still a conviction"? Obviously it's not a conviction! He never went to jail--how can you call that a CONVICTION?! It's just a fine! And it's not even a felony to begin with--it's just a little misdemeanor charge."

Posts: 102 | Location: Galveston, Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite is still the attorney who was asked during the expunction hearing "And what legal basis do you have for this?" His response was "I don't really have a legal basis, Your Honor, but I think he really deserves it."

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post