TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Habeas Corpus from jail
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Habeas Corpus from jail Login/Join 
posted
I have a sitiation that has come up for the first time in my 16+ years....Defenadnt is in TDCJ on a felony theft confiction enhanced by prior misdemeanors in 2002...he is now writing me and the County Judge wanting us to supply him a form or application for a writ of Habeas Corpus to be used in attacking the validity of the prior misdemeanor(s), or a waiver for use of said form....
What obligation does the prosecutor have in this regard? What obligation does the Misdemeanor court have?
The previous misdemeanor convictions resulted from quilty pleas by the defendant.
Does the letter to the Judge serve as a "Writ" that needs to be addressed by the court?
Thanks for your help.

Posts: 568 | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is no form for applications for writs of habeas corpus in misdemeanor cases.

Posts: 25 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: May 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, unless your misdemeanor court has decided that it wants a form (the misdemeanor court will rule on the writ). I guess, if that were the case, there would be a form and the trial court should provide it.

Typically, in 11.07 cases (where a form is required by the CCA), the District Clerk will provide copies of the form to the defendant. The State does not have a duty to do so.

Edited to add: Yes, 11.07 is for felony convictions only. It would not apply to misdemeanors. I was merely using that as an example of a writ proceeding which required a form. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Andrea Jacobs,

Posts: 25 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: May 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does the letter to the Judge serve as a "Writ" that needs to be addressed by the court?

I suppose that depends to some extent on exactly what the letter says and to what extent it raises an issue about legality of the conviction under arts. 11.04 and 11.14, CCP. Of course, no matter how defective the "application" may be, I guess the court could always treat it as invoking jurisdiction to find it is manifest from the petition itself that the applicant is entitled to no relief whatever under art. 11.15.

Anyway, pleadings need to filed first with the county clerk, not the state's attorney or judge, before any ruling or response is required.

Posts: 2386 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for your assistance! The letter does not meet the requirements of a petition, nor is it submitted under oath....
Thanks again for the ideas....

Posts: 568 | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post