TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    False affidavit of indigency
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

False affidavit of indigency Login/Join 
posted
We've got a defendant who unquestionably lied big time in an affidavit of indigency filed with the clerk in order to get a free lawyer. I'm brainstorming for charging ideas. So far, it looks like Tampering With Governmental Record and Perjury will apply... Any other ideas? I'd like to make Aggravated Perjury but that might be a stretch... Thanks.

Posts: 276 | Location: Liberty County, Texas | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's probably not a better option than what you've already come up with, but you might consider theft. Lying to obtain a service you know you'd otherwise have to pay for is certainly within the statute, but my guess is that your proof of value of the service would not put you in any better position than the other charges you named, unless it's a capital murder case or something that you'd reasonably expect counsel fees to top $20,000.

Posts: 622 | Location: San Marcos | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post