TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Is a horse a horse unless of course the horse is a zebra?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is a horse a horse unless of course the horse is a zebra? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
On signing in this morning, I thought I had found another agricultural forum. Makes for a nice diversion.

JAS

Posts: 586 | Location: Denton,TX | Registered: January 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The word 'Palomino' is a Spanish surname. Many feel that Palomino is only a color and not a breed, which is true that the color of Palomino comes in all breeds, but the Palomino of Spanish times, the Golden Dorado, was as close to being a breed as any strain of horse. The Dorado was of Arabic-Moorish-Spanish blood and breeding, closely akin to the Arabian and the Moorish Barb. This point has been noted in an old book and printed in Barcelona in 1774.

The Palomino is a multi-purpose horse. They are admired not only for their beauty but for their versatility, maneuverability, and endurance. They are to be found in ranching, racing, rodeos, pleasure riding, parades, shows, fiestas, jumping, trail rides, and all other equine activities.

We even have a few movie stars including, Mr. Ed and Trigger, who were registered with The Palomino Horse Association."

Posts: 280 | Registered: October 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick Wilson:
P.C. 42.09 does not prohibit the killing of another person's horse. For purposes of that statute, is a zebra a horse? They are both of the same genus, but different species within that genus. Search for "zebra" in Westlaw and you will find a lot of references to nightclubs and nicknames. The only relevant case is from 1884, which sets forth the distinction made above.

I know I can still charge under criminal mischief, but I'm curious to know what others think. And, yes, we do have a bona fide zebra killer here in Ellis County!

The revisions to animal cruelty laws now overtly define "livestock" to include horses and, in a separate subdivision, "native or nonnative hoofstock raised under agriculture practices." One might argue that the inclusion of hoofstock as a separate category means the legislature does not think zebras, et al., are "horses" when it comes to animal cruelty.

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah shoot, leave it to Shannon to bring the discussion back around to the law and away from the "snarky jokes" that apparently make up half this forum! Wink

Posts: 280 | Registered: October 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa Tanner:
Ah shoot, leave it to Shannon to bring the discussion back around to the law and away from the "snarky jokes" that apparently make up half this forum! Wink

I saw that too. Nonetheless, what would he write about other than the legal threads or the snarky jokes?

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I'm not ALL business ...

See this thread

Big Grin

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK. I get it. It all depends on what the meaning of "breed" is. By the way JAS, I thought this was the ag-law thread. Did not seem too jocular to me at the time, Lisa. Besides what is a forum without a little persiflage now and then.

Posts: 2386 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post