TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Use of Parole Records
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Use of Parole Records Login/Join 
posted
Defendant currently facing charge of Agg. Asslt. At a meeting with his parole officer, while in custody, he admits to allegation of new offense. Defendant was given the standard warnings used by parole for rights in a revocation process, but they don't even come close to Miranda.

I know someone out there has had this come up before and can point me to appropriate case law that would be on point. Please help. THANKS.

Posts: 9 | Location: Lubbock, Texas, America | Registered: October 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does "meeting with your parole officer" qualify as custodial interrogation?

Posts: 160 | Location: Foat Wuth | Registered: June 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Meeting with parole officer was because he was already arrested on the "blue warrant."

Posts: 9 | Location: Lubbock, Texas, America | Registered: October 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Describing the interrogation as being conducted by a parole officer doesn't change the law. Miranda warnings are required before a statement made pursuant to custodial interrogation is admissible. Texas has additional requirements related to written, recorded or oral admissions. None of those requirements are relaxed simply because the interviewer was a parole officer. As an agent of the state, he must follow the law for the confession to be admissible in a criminal trial.

Now, if the defendant is a terrorist....

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I already told Douglas, much as I don't like it and unless there's some contrary authority, if I'm the judge, I am not allowing those admissions into evidence.

Posts: 124 | Location: West Texas | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At least if he should happen to take the stand you can impeach him with the admissions. Like that's gonna happen.....

Posts: 280 | Registered: October 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For anyone else that may have a similar issue arise see Wilkerson vs. State 173S.W.3d 521

Gives a good discussion as to when a state employee is and is not an "agent of the state" for purposes of custodial interrogation.

posted Hide Post
I am of the opinion that Mr. Freitag has a pretty decent shot at getting admitted the defendant's admissions of culpability to his parole officer while in the jail on a blue warrant.

Posts: 124 | Location: West Texas | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post