TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Codeine
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Codeine Login/Join 
posted
Considering that codeine is listed in PG I, III, and IV, how do you tell which PG your substance fits into when the lab report simply says "contains codeine"? I have discussed this in the past with a chemist. The result being that I considered pure "pharmaceutical grade" codeine as PG III, but if it was "adulterated or diluted" in any fashion, such as adding red soda, it then became PG I.

Anyone suggestions/help?

Posts: 8 | Registered: March 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming when you say "pharmaceutical grade codeine" you are referring to Hydrocodone syrup (Promethazine with Codeine), which is used in prescription cough medicine. It is known on the streets as "lean" or just "syrup".

This is actually a Schedule 5, Penalty Group 4 substance (HSC 481.105). The grade of the offense is determined by the total weight of the syrup in grams (HSC 481.118). The fact that it has been "adulterated or diluted in any fashion, such as adding red soda" does not change the charge.

You can find a excellent online report (Leaning on Syrup: The Misuse of Opioid Cough Syrup in Houston) at the Texas Commission on Alcohol and Drug Abuse web site http://www.tcada.state.tx.us/research/lean.html if you would like to learn more about codeine syrup.

Posts: 151 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post