TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Code of Judicial Conduct
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Code of Judicial Conduct Login/Join 
posted
A visiting judge called me and said, he thought he was required to report to the DA's office that a witness in a civil matter before him had committed perjury - and had admitted it. I told him, I had never heard of such a duty, that I had received such complaints before, but they'd always been from the opposing party, not the judge. He told me, he thought it was in the code of judicial conduct. I looked at that and could not find any reference to a duty to report a crime occurring in the judge's presence, or courtroom.

Anybody know of any code which requires a judge to report such to the prosecuting authority?

Posts: 124 | Location: West Texas | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not aware of any specific Texas disciplinary rule requiring anyone to report perjury. Child abuse, yes. Lying, not so much.

I do occasionally received referrals from judges or lawyers that they believe a witness committed perjury in a case. Generally, it has to be the sort in which there are two inconsistent sworn statements to make such a case. Otherwise, it just looks like sour grapes.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, John. It sounded odd to me that a judge might have such a duty. If it were so, I'd have expected to get a lot more such reports in my career. Thus far, this is the only one, which seems not to be sour grapes on the part of a party-opponent.

By the way, have y'all been doing the "happy dance" down there recently?

Posts: 124 | Location: West Texas | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post