TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Revoked, surcharge due!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Revoked, surcharge due! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Thanks and Thanks!

Posts: 13 | Location: Rusk, Texas | Registered: May 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mike,
We were trying that as well and became overrun with trying to keep up, so 2 months ago, for those that qualify, I set up a program along with the probation department for a DWLI PTD program.....allows probation to get some fees....saves the defendant some $ over a regular probation or deferred and aloows the monitoring of the license reinstatement. Also gets the state the money owed to them, plus is some degree of punishment and deterant for the defendant. Still in the early stages, but seems to be working well so far. Plus avoids further license suspension if they do everthing they are supposed to. It has eased the burden on my staff considerably!
Obviously, not all qualify for the program and regular probation or jail is still available.

Posts: 568 | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
in fort bend county, we also get alot of dwli's based on failure to pay the reinstatement. absent some eggregious facts, we offer to reduce the offense to a class c driving while license expired in exchange for getting their license reinstated. you manage to get a $100 fine and court costs for the county, but you dont give them the conviction that resuspends their license for a year. thus creating more dwlis.

Posts: 12 | Location: Richmond | Registered: December 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John E. Cruickshank III:
in fort bend county, we also get alot of dwli's based on failure to pay the reinstatement. absent some eggregious facts, we offer to reduce the offense to a class c driving while license expired in exchange for getting their license reinstated. you manage to get a $100 fine and court costs for the county, but you dont give them the conviction that resuspends their license for a year. thus creating more dwlis.

Which was always my philosophy for almost all DWLS/DWLI's when I was in misdemeanor court. My goal was to get the county $$$ for handling the case, and get the driver back on the road. Most of my cases way back when were for no insurance, and along with a plea, they had to get 6 m prepaid insurance on their car.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post