TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Rest in Peace, Gil Epstein
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rest in Peace, Gil Epstein Login/Join 
posted
It was 12 years ago this evening when Fort Bend D.A. John Healey called me to tell me that my courtroom partner Gil Simon Epstein had been shot by a parolee during an aggravated robbery at the Jewish Community Center in Houston, Texas.

I'll never forget watching him be unplugged from life support at Ben Taub about an hour later.

I learned many lessons in life and as a trial attorney from Gil, who was ten years my junior. Funny how the student can become the teacher.

They say time heals all wounds, and we as prosecutors know that is not correct. But it does get better over time. His killer was executed a few years ago, so that vermin no longers threatens citizens both free and incarcerated.

Thinking about you, my friend.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not the best about posting on this thread every year, but not a day goes by that Gil's friends and family do not miss him.

I have asked Shannon or Sarah to post a copy of a memorial I wrote for the Texas Prosecutor in this column. I scanned and emailed them a copy. [It has been added to this post. -SE]

For all of you who do not know who Gil Epstein was, I would appreciate a prayer this evening for his mother, father, brother and nephew as well as for the multitude of friends who have survived him.

He was a damn good guy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Shannon Edmonds,

PDF Doc20150918150249606.pdf (408 Kb, 17 downloads) Prosecutor article

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's the end to the story of the man with no name who killed Brother Epstein.

Killer gets executed

posted Hide Post
Smile

Posts: 13 | Registered: September 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Abby!

posted Hide Post
RIP, my friend.

posted Hide Post
Hard to believe it's been 20 years.

Posts: 515 | Location: austin, tx, usa | Registered: July 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post